(Accredited by Asthma SA)
Course Date & Location:
Those who require asthma first aid training to prepare them to recognise and manage a serious asthma emergency until the arrival of a qualified person or an ambulance.
To develop the competencies associated with Asthma First Aid
On successful completion of the one-hour course, participants will be able to:
- list the triggers for an asthma attack
- recognise the symptoms and signs and severity of an asthma attack
- outline the physiological changes which occur during an asthma attack
- demonstrate the ability to assess an asthma attack and arrange for appropriate medical assistance
- outline the management of a victim of Exercise Induced Asthma (EIA)
- describe the types of asthma medications that may be prescribed by the treating doctor to prevent and relieve an asthma attack
- respond to and manage an asthma attack victim with competent Asthma First Aid including use of spacer devices and an asthma first aid kit
The use of various instructional techniques supported by various audiovisual aids.
Competency based with practical and theoretical assessments.
Participants who demonstrate competence in the required practical components will receive an Asthma First Aid certificate.
The course has been accredited by Asthma SA and complies with the Guidelines of the Australian Resuscitation Council & the Thoracic Society of Australia & New Zealand.