Previously known as “Apply First Aid” or “Senior First Aid”
18 hours – including completion of an on-line learning package prior to attendance.
Details will be provided following registration.
Those who require accredited first aid training to comply with the Approved Code of Practice for First Aid in the Workplace. The course is suitable for any person who requires the skills and knowledge to provide first aid in an emergency.
To give participants the confidence to recognise and manage a sick or injured person using basic first aid principles.
On completion of all course modules participants should be able to:
- define first aid and state the principles of first aid
- respond to a first aid emergency and manage an unconscious casualty being aware of communicable disease risks
- outline the function of the respiratory system and the circulatory system
- recognise and manage a non-breathing casualty
- recognise and manage external and internal bleeding
- recognise and manage wounds, including eye injuries, using an approved Occupational First Aid kit
- recognise and manage a person suffering from shock
- describe the different types of burns and their management
- recognise and manage exposure to extremes of heat and cold
- recognise and manage cardiac emergencies
- outline the function of the central nervous system; be able to recognise and manage associated conditions
- recognise and manage musculo-skeletal injuries including spinal and head injuries
- recognise and manage breathing emergencies including asthma
- manage a casualty who has been poisoned
- recognise and manage a casualty who has been bitten or stung by a marine or land-based creature, including anaphylactic shock.
Use of various instructional techniques supported by audiovisual aids, charts, resuscitation training manikins and other course aids in a training course with 60% practical and 40% theoretical components.
Participants who demonstrate competence in the required theoretical and practical components will receive a Statement of Attainment for the units of competency ‘Provide First Aid’ valid for three years, ‘Provide Basic Emergency Life Support’ valid for three years and ‘Perform CPR’ valid for one year.
The Provide First Aid course is national recognised and accredited as an approved worpkplace course by SafeWork SA. The CPR component is consistent with current Australian Resuscitation Council policies and standards.